GNP: New Fire Starts Near Waterton Lake
CANADIAN FIREFIGHTERS ANSWER THE CALL
Parks Canada crews responded to a report of a lighning-caused forest fire from US National Park staff at Goat Haunt, Glacier National Park. A helicopter, which was on standby in Waterton Lakes National Park, was immediately deployed to bucket the fire. The fire initially spread south and is estimated at approximately 25 acres. The fire is on the slopes of Campbell Mountain, on the west side of Upper Waterton Lake.
The weather forecast continues to call for cooler temperatures, some precipitation and lighter winds.
Restrictions and Closures
Waterton Lakes National Park:
- Lakeshore trail from the townsite to Boundary Bay
- Alderson Lake trail (from the townsite trailhead),
- Boundary Creek trail
- Pass Creek Day Use Area
Bertha Lake, Summit Lake and Carthew-Alderson Trails have been reopened.
Glacier National Park:
- Boulder Pass Trail from Francis Lake Campground to Goat Haunt
- Boundary Trail from Goat Haunt to the International boundary
- Waterton Valley Trail from Stony Indian Junction to Goat Haunt
Back Country Campground Closures
- Goat Haunt Shelter
- Waterton River Campground
- Kootenai Lakes Campground
- Janet Lake Campground
- Lake Francis Campground
Waterton Shoreline Cruise boat is still running from Waterton to Goat
Haunt with no back country access.