State Sets Drawing for Deer-Hunter Access to Marias River WMA
The F & W Commission approved a random drawing for deer-hunter access to Montana's Marias River Wildlife Management Area, southwest of Shelby in Hunting District 406. Thanks to FWP Wildlife Biologist Ryan Rauscher for this information:
Deer hunters must apply for an opportunity to access the WMA via a random drawing for deer hunting periods during the Archery Season—September 3 through October 16, 2016; or the General Rifle Season—October 22 through November 13, 2016.
Public hunting access for all other species (except deer) is open on the Marias River Wildlife Management Area.
The link to the electronic application is: http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/marias.html
- Application must be made electronically (fwp.mt.gov) beginning 8:00 AM, June 1, 2016. Persons may make electronic application at FWP Regional offices.
- Application deadline is 5:00 PM, June 30, 2016 (applications must be received by 5:00 PM).
- Incomplete applications will be removed from the drawing.
- Hunters must include their full name, address, phone number, email address, ALS number and desired hunt- archery or general hunting season (applicant may choose only one) on the application.
- Hunters may apply only once for either archery or rifle season, NOT BOTH.
- No party applications accepted.
- Drawing will take place after June 30, 2016 with only successful applicants notified of drawing results.
- 10 archery hunters randomly chosen per 2 week period.
- 3 archery hunt periods, each approximately 2 weeks in length.
- 10 general hunting season (rifle) hunters randomly chosen per 7-9 day period.
- 3 general season (rifle) hunt periods, each 7-9 days in length.
- Hunt periods will be allotted at the time of drawing and are not transferable.
- Successful applicants will be contacted with hunt access information and authorized permission prior to the start of the archery season.
- Successful applicants may use any deer license valid in Hunting District 406.
- All hunting will conform to the existing F&W Commission-established season structure in HD 406.
Access to the Marias River Wildlife Management Area will be allocated as follows:
2016 Archery Season - Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 archers for the first 2 weeks (Sept 3 – Sept 17)
- 10 archers for the 3rd and 4th weeks (Sept 18 – Oct 1)
- 10 archery hunters for 5th and 6th weeks (Oct 2 – Oct 16)
2016 General Season - Deer Hunting Periods