Missoula, MT (KGVO-AM News) - On October 6, 2022, at approximately 11:37 p.m., officers with the Missoula Police Department responded to a motel on Broadway Street after receiving a report that James Shadis pointed a gun at a female. The female informed dispatch that Shadis said, “I got something for you” and cocked his gun two times.  

An officer located a male matching Shadis’ description walking away from the Motel. Shadis looked directly at the officer and then turned away. The officer asked Shadis for his name multiple times, but Shadis did not identify himself and told the officer, “None of your business.”  

Since the female reported that Shadis had a gun, the officer commanded Shadis to put his hands in the air. Shadis raised his arms but continued to walk away. The officer closed the distance to Shadis. As he did so, Shadis dropped his hands toward his stomach.  

KSEN AM 1150 logo
Get our free mobile app

Fearing that Shadis was attempting to pull a weapon from his waistband, the officer took Shadis to the ground. Shadis struggled against the officer and used physical force to pull his arms away. Other officers arrived in the area and helped take Shadis into custody. Police Public Information Officer Lydia Arnold explains. 

“Officers were provided a very detailed description of the male, James Shadis,” Arnold said. “Shadis was located and taken into custody. The victim was able to provide a statement to officers describing the incident, where it had occurred, and gave some back story about how they knew Shadis.” 

Shadis informed the officers that he is currently on probation. An officer contacted Shadis’ probation officer, who authorized a search of Shadis’s backpack and motel room. Officers located a large knife in Shadis’s backpack and a Glock 9mm in his motel room.  

“Officers spoke to the victim, witnesses, and Shadis,” Arnold said. “Shadis was taken into custody on multiple charges. During the preliminary investigation, it was discovered Shadis was in possession of a stolen hand gun. This case is still under investigation with the Missoula Police Department Detective Division.”  

Shadis is currently being charged with felony attempted assault with a weapon and obstructing a peace officer. On October 7, 2022, Shadis made his initial appearance in Missoula Justice Court where his bail was set at $25,000. 

The information in this article was obtained from sources that are publicly viewable.

PHOTOS: Spooky Stevensville, Montana Scarecrow Festival

Scarecrows delight thousands during annual Stevensville Festival. See photos from the 2022 event.

When is Apple Day in the Bitterroot? When the pies are done!

Behind the scenes in Montana making the best pies under the Big Sky

More From KSEN AM 1150