On September 15, 2022, at approximately 7:34 a.m., officers with the Missoula Police Department responded to an area near St. Patrick Hospital after receiving a report of a physical disturbance. Upon arrival, an officer spoke with the victim who was a security officer at the hospital.  

That morning, the security officer located a transient campsite on private property. He informed the occupant, later identified as Kyle Everhart, that he was trespassing and needed to leave the area. Everhart responded by cursing at the security officer and threatening to attack him. Police Public Information Officer Lydia Arnold picks up the story. 

“Everhart stood up, grabbed a metal pipe, and swung it towards the victim’s head,” Arnold said. “The victim and Everhart got into a physical disturbance and Everhart ran away. Officers were unable to locate him at that time. The victim was able to give a good description of Everhart and provided other details to officers that would assist in the case.” 

According to court documents, Everhart exited his tent and approached the security officer in an aggressive manner. The security officer told Everhart to stop, but Everhart did not comply. The security officer deployed pepper spray at Everhart. Everhart stumbled around, located a metal pipe on the ground, and swung it at the security officer. The security officer ducked underneath the pipe, punched Everhart, and took him to the ground.  

The security officer was unable to get Everhart, who was still brandishing the pipe, under control. The security officer struck Everhart several times in the head with his flashlight, leaving a laceration on Everhart’s head. When the security officer let Everhart up off the ground, Everhart ran down an embankment and jumped into the Clark Fork River. Another security guard chased Everhart but could not stop him. 

“On September 19, 2022, Everhart had been located by the St. Patrick Hospital security team,” Arnold said. “Officers contacted Everhart and were able to positively associate him with the assault with a weapon from September 15. Everhart was not compliant with officers and was verbally aggressive while being taken into custody.” 

Everhart was transported to the Missoula County Detention Center. Everhart is currently being charged with one count of felony attempted assault with a weapon. On September 20, 2022, Everhart made his initial appearance in Missoula Justice Court where his bail was set at $5,000. 

The information in this article was obtained from sources that are publicly viewable.

24 Closed Missoula Businesses We Wish We Could Bring Back

We asked Missoulians which of their favorite businesses that have closed down would they like to see make a triumphant return. Here's what they came up with.

Get to Know Missoula A to Z

All about Missoula, Montana.

More From KSEN AM 1150