Wolf Hunting and Furbearer Trapping Regulations Available Online
HELENA – Wolf and Furbearer Trapping and Hunting Regulations for the 2022-2023 season are now available online. Print versions will be available at FWP offices and other outlets in a few weeks.
Hunters and trappers will notice these regulations were combined into one book this year.
A couple of things to point out in the regulations include:
- Trapper education is required for any resident trapper who has not purchased a trapping license for three years in their lifetime (does not need to be consecutive). This does not apply to those trapping for the purposes of livestock or property protection.
- Wolf trapping dates in occupied grizzly bear habitat may open prior to Dec. 31. Check FWP website for status of trapping dates beginning Nov. 21.
- Wolf trapping quotas are set statewide, by trapping district, and by wolf management unit 313. See page 15 of the regulations.
- Wolf snaring is prohibited on public land within Lynx Protection Zones(LPZ). See page 13 of the regulations for additional information on LPZs.
- The capture of any animal that cannot be lawfully trapped, including domestic animals, must be reported to FWP within 24 hours.
Wolf season dates are:
- Archery: Sept. 3 - Sept. 14
- General: Sept. 15 - March 15, 2023
- Trapping: Nov. 28 - March 15, 2023. These dates do not apply to occupied grizzly bear habitat as depicted on page 14 of the regulations. For these areas, the wolf trapping season will start on Dec. 31 unless otherwise determined by FWP due to evidence the majority of bears in these areas have begun hibernation. Trappers should be aware that grizzly bears exist in much of the western half of Montana and should always be prepared to encounter a grizzly bear while trapping. For more information see page 15 of the regulations.
Furbearer season dates are:
- Trapping Districts 1, 2 & 3
- Beaver: Nov. 1 - Apr. 15, 2023
- Bobcat: Dec. 1 - Feb. 15, 2023*
- Trapping Districts 4, 5, 6 & 7
- Beaver: Sept. 1 - May 31, 2023
- Bobcat: Dec. 1 - Mar. 1, 2023*
- Portion of Trapping District 6
- Swift Fox: Nov. 1 - Jan. 15, 2023*
- Fisher, Marten
- Where open: Dec. 1 - Feb. 15, 2023*
- Mink, Muskrat, Otter
- Nov. 1 - Apr. 15, 2023*
*May close earlier when the quota is reached.